Friday, January 4, 2013

A Bad Thing

Several years ago I got it in my head that film photography was fast becoming obsolete. I had been shooting digital  since the Canon 1D came on the market and rarely ventured into my basement darkroom.

I began doing things which in hindsight were foolish. I started selling off film related paraphernalia. I listed my Leedal stainless steel sink on Kijiji for $100  and got a buyer the same day. Like a fool I threw in my print drying screens, 11x14 and 16x20 trays.

I sold my Bronica system to a camera store. On eBay I sold off film equipment including Mamiya Paramender, a Porrofinder, a Sekonic meter, all my Nikon stuff, timers, and a number of other film/darkroom things.

I kept my C220 for sentimental reasons. My Omega XL66 enlarger was an old friend, so that had to stay. Safelights are still in place as well as plumbing.

I will be retiring in a few month and when thinking back realize I probably spent more time in a black and white darkroom than anything else. Maybe that is where my heart lies.

Maybe I will make this darkroom sink  (http://rustee.hubpages.com/hub/Photography_DarkroomPrintingTipsTechniques) buy some trays, paper, chemistry and make several collections of my life's work. I still have the negatives. Or maybe I'll  shoot more mamas with my Mamiya.

No comments:

Post a Comment