Sunday, May 22, 2011

Introduction

My first professional camera was a Mamiya C220 bought in 1969 during a Labour Day Weekend trip to Boston. Just two months before I had graduated from the one-year photography course at the Halifax Vocational School in Nova Scotia and this was my first real camera. I do not recall the exact amount but it was around $200 US, a lot of money for a 20-year-old at the time. My girlfriend, who was from Boston but going to school in Halifax, helped me pay for the beast. I still have that old Mamiya, on a tripod in my living room.

I loved shooting with the Mamiya, even though it would be cumbersome by today's standards. Last week  a C220 system with 3 lenses (65, 80, 135) on Kijiji got the better of me and I bought it for $200 CDN. Not bad  for a camera for which I am emotionally attached.

A test shoot with a roll of HP-5 developed in the laundry room confirmed all  shutters mostly accurate at higher speeds (1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500 second) with four shots on each lens. Film is slightly over agitated in 120 stainless steel tank (notice sides of negatives in example are a little darker)

Anyhow, its a enough to get me started in my first photography love and to start this blog. Mama Mamiya wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment